Sunday, November 1, 2009

Paris, Texas



"Paris, Texas"
Starring: Harry Dean Stanton
Grade: B+/A-

The 1984 winner of the top prize at Cannes has been hiding from me. I recently watched it and discovered how good, if not great, a film it is. The protagonist is a lonely, thin, worn down drifter who is wandering in a Mexican desert as the film opens. The protagonist is Travis, a lonely man who is estranged from his wife and young son Hunter who is now taken care of by his brother and wife.

The film examines Travis' re-integration into society and the rekindling relationship by he and his young son. Travis is searching for more, he seeks redemption with his lost wife he doesn't know the whereabouts of. The film plays best as a road picture, the photography captures elegant cities, landscapes, and borders. All of the performances are top notch, each actor relays human emotion, especially Travis, who looks to seal old wounds.

Paris, Texas is unlike anything I've ever seen, I didn't think much of it at first, but it slowly brought me into it's world, and then devastated me. A haunting picture from start to finish.

No comments: