Sunday, October 30, 2005

November-January = a critics heaven


It is only October 30th..... There have only been a handful of worthy films that will be up for Oscars, and a handful and a half may be to much to give credit for right now... You may have Crash... Cinderella Man... North Country.. Capote... Goodnight and Goodluck....that's all I can really think of right now....

Now right now I will go ahead, and predict my 5 best picture nominations for the Academy Awards..... here they are... and reasons why... My goal is to predict 3/5 correct... here I go....

"Jarhead"-(mirror of our war right now, focuses on Desert Storm, a war that gave every soldier blue balls, WILL be directed with poignancy by Sam Mendes(A.Beauty, Road to Perdition) he's familiar with the Oscar scene, has a GREAT cast on his side with two of the most underrated actors going right now.(Jake Gyllenhaal, and Peter Sarsgaard) Has Chris Cooper and Jamie Foxx on board, both having prior Oscar success.

"Munich"- I absolutely know nothing of this story other then it is being driected by S.Spielberg, it's a true story, and it's a drama. If you throw those 3 elements into a hat, you basicaly have a best picture nomination. This will be there in the end.

"Walk the Line"- Although Ray was a decent film, I didn't realy care for it, it didn't deserve a Best Picture nomination lastyear, Ray along with Finding Neverland robbed Closer of a nomination. But Walk the Line starring Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon chronicling the life of Johnny Cash and his wife, I think will be more powerful then Ray, a better love story with more depth and less jumping around of the story. Phoenix is one of those guys who is STILL under the radar, there is something about him, and he will break out of his supporting character label here, and maybe win a best actor trophy. I like it's chances to get a best pic. nod.

My next prediction is stricly boom or bust, it will either shoot through the roof or be a major dud. the next one is....

"The New World"- Terrence Malick's depiction of the romance between John Smith and Pocahontas with a side dish of violence COULD be great. Although the last plate of epic movies have mostly been duds i.e "Alexander" "Troy" and "Kingdom of Heaven." The scary thing is, the 3 directors of those previous duds are all fantastic directors, truly great ones. Now, Terrence Malick doesn't make too many movies, I haven't even see the ones that he does make, all I know is that he made "The Thin Red Line," about Vietnam and it was up for best picture. I also know that it was very poetic and hard to digest. With Colin Farrell, Christian Bale on board, you GOTTA believe that this could be good stuff, I think it will be "The Last Samurai" meets "Last of the Mohicans." The set design i trust will be spectacular, the acting will be there, I think there will be some brutal violence, that gives it some realism around those times, but I just hope I end up appreciating more of Farrell's work by the time the movie ends.

"Syriana" - I don't know much about this also, but the trailer was spell-binding, it includes Clooney and Matt Daman, the screenwriter of Traffic wrote and directed it.

If I had to pick my next five in order of it's chances, I would pick.....
1.Memoirs of a Geisha
2.North Country
3.Capote
4.Goodnight and Goodluck
5.Crash

No comments: